On 24/08/2012 17:52, Joe Wang wrote:
Hi,

Here is a modified patch: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~joehw/jdk8/7169894/webrev/

The factory finders contain some format changes, a NetBeans format work. The real changes are as the follows:

1) In factory classes: reinstated the implementation resolution mechanism, the 3rd step mainly

2) In factory finders: replaced findJarServiceProvider with findServiceProvider

3) In factory finders: removed ConfigurationError class, using FactoryConfigurationError instead
I've taken a pass over this, it looks much better now (duplicate FactoryFinders aside).

In DocumentBuilderFactory and SAXParserFactory the javadoc reads " Otherwise the default implementation is returned if it is on the classpath or installed as a module". I think this statement needs to be re-worked, first to remove the word "module" as it is not defined here, and also because I don't think it's the classpath. If I read the code correctly then initiating loader may actually be the context class loader and assuming the usual delegation then the default should be loaded by the boot class loader. It may be possible to borrow some of the wording from the ServiceLoader javadoc to help here.

In DatatypeFactory.java then it would be good to use {@link ..} or {@code ..} around the error and exception types that are referenced in the javadoc. Same thing in several other classes.

In src/javax/xml/datatype/FactoryFinder.java then is there any reason why this class has to use Object? I realize that some of the factory finders are called for several types but there are few (like this one) where there is only one type involved.

DocumentBuilderFactory.java it has:
  catch (FactoryConfigurationError e) { throw e; }
I assume the catch is not needed, same thing in a few other places.

Also in DocumentBuilderFatcory: " If ServiceConfigurationError is thrown, it is interpreted as an invalid provider is encountered. The process shall continue the search until all are exhausted." I think this could be re-worded, minimally "as an invalid" to "as if an invalid". Also "until all are exhausted" isn't completely clear to me, maybe it needs to re-iterate that it falls back to the system default.

Minor nit in src/javax/xml/validation/FactoryConfigurationError.java but it seems to be using 2-space indents rather than 4-space indents.

I think one thing that would be really useful here is to get a summary of the behavioral and API changes that this changes brings. SchemeFactory now throws FactoryConfigurationError whereas previously errors were ignored. It would be good to summarize the others.

-Alan.