On 8/29/12 8:48 AM, Andrew Hughes wrote:
But presumably [-Werror] would be removed when everything is warning free?
-Werror should not be the default for everyone building OpenJDK, who then
end up having to fix or workaround issues which are nothing to do with them.
It's easy enough for those who want to check we don't regress to turn on
-Werror throughout, once everything is warning free.

Once everything is warning free, -Werror *should* be enabled by default. That's how we'll keep everything warning free.

If everything were warning free, I don't see how people could be blocked by warnings that are unrelated to their current changes. This does happen today with implicit compilation, but it shouldn't happen in the bright shining future where there are no warnings. :-)

If there's some other phenomenon that could cause warnings to pop up spontaneously, unrelated to their current changes, I'd like to understand what that is.

s'marks