Since this change is to achieve minor performance boost, it's not fair
to defend it by saying that it only incurs minor performance
penalties.

Java programs are infested with strings, most of which could have used
a more appropriate type, but it is the insane reality. Any change to
the behavior of strings should have been backed up by a much more
thorough analysis.

Every usage of substring() was (hopefully) the result of some
conscious reasoning about space-time. Even if this change does not
significantly alter an application's performance, it invalidates all
the reasoning, that's the worst blow in my book. There's no problem if
substring() does copying from day one, but 17 years have passed.

Zhong Yu