Hi Alan, David, Alexander and others,

I noticed the push of Joe Darcy's code for repeating annotations which makes my proposed patch not entirely compatible with new code. So I rebased the patch to current code in jdk8/tl/jdk repository. I had to revert my last improvement (the replacement of Map with array for Class's declaredAnnotations) since repeating annotations need per-key access to declared annotations.

I also did a simplification in the area of delegating the caching of annotations on Field/Method/Constructor to a root instance.

Here's the webrev of this patch:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/101777488/jdk8-tl/JEP-149/webrev.01/index.html

And here're the results of the benchmarks:

https://raw.github.com/plevart/jdk8-tl/JEP-149/test/benchmark_results_i7-2600K.txt

It is interesting to compare these results with the results I got on the codebase prior to the repeating annotations push:

https://raw.github.com/plevart/jdk8-hacks/annotation-arrays/benchmark_results_i7-2600K.txt

Test2 results for the unpatched code (first run in each file) show that this test running on the repeating annotations is almost 4x slower in the single threaded case and almost 20x slower in the heavy-threaded (128 threads on 4 core i7) case then the pre-repeating annotations version. May I restate that this is comparing unpatched code. I must also mention that the pre-repeating annotations results were obtained by running on a JVM that was build from the jdk8/jdk8 forest:

openjdk version "1.8.0-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-internal-peter_2012_11_21_08_55-b00)

while the repeating annotations version results were obtained by running on the todays build of jdk8/tl forest:

openjdk version "1.8.0-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-internal-peter_2012_11_30_14_19-b00)

Test2 results for the patched code (second run in each file) show that this test running on the repeating annotations is about 2x slower in the single threaded case and also 2x slower in the heavy-threaded (128 threads on 4 core i7) case.

I haven't yet established why this is so. It might be that code differences (for example another method call in the code-path with repeating annotations) cause different optimizations by JIT. It is also interesting to note that with repeating annotations, Test 2 is even less scalable for the unpatched code while with the patched code it shows same scalability.

Test3 shows the same speed for the unpatched variants of pre-repeating annotations vs. repeating annotations, while with patched code it shows 2x increase in speed. The scalability of test3 is about the same pre-repeating annotations vs. repeating annotations.

Test1 is out of the league because it only demonstrates the cache hit improvements when keeping the caches of annotations on the root instances of Field/Constructor/Method instead of on the copied instances.

So, what do you think? What kind of tests should I prepare in addidion to those 3 so that the patch might get a consideration?

Regards, Peter

P.S.

The source for tests is here:

https://raw.github.com/plevart/jdk8-tl/JEP-149/test/src/test/ReflectionTest.java