Thanks for reviewing the changes.  Please see comments inline.

On 12/7/2012 11:38 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:
On 12/5/12 10:58 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alanb/8004371/webrev/

Yay! Properties no longer requires JAXP to be present in order to load/store properties in XML format. This looks okay to me. Some minor comments:

XMLStreamWriterImpl.isEncodingSupported - it returns true if any string != "UTF-32" that assumes the given encoding is one of the few known values. Would it be better to check the explicit list of supported encoding?
    private boolean isEncodingSupported(String encoding) {
        if (encoding.equalsIgnoreCase("UTF-32")) {
            return false;
        }
        return true;
    }

The spec only requires UTF-8 and 16. But the writer can actually handle most of the encodings. An explicit list would be quite long and require comprehensive tests. Since the ukit parser explicitly rejects UTF-32, I chose to do the same. Other than that, the XMLWriter leaves it to java.nio.charset.Charset to determine if a specified encoding is supported through this call:
       try {
            cs = Charset.forName(encoding);
} catch (IllegalCharsetNameException | UnsupportedCharsetException ex) { throw new XMLStreamException(new UnsupportedEncodingException(encoding));
        }

PropertiesDefaultHandler.java L115-116: can be replaced with Properties.stringPropertyNames() and foreach.

Done. Will send update to Alan.

XMLStreamWriterImpl.java L156 - since the caller needs to unwrap XMLStreamException to determine if the encoding is supported or not, maybe better to throw this constructor to throw UnsupportedEncodingException.

The writer implements partially the original StAX API. So I tried not to change the writer API. But java.util.Properties expect UnsupportedEncodingException in case of invalid encoding, thus the compromise.

Perhaps s/SAXParserImp/SAXParserImpl be consistent with the other classname e.g. XMLStreamWriterImpl.

SAXParserImp was from UKit, but I followed StAX's convention for XMLStreamWriterImpl :) I'll rename SAXParserImp to SAXParserImpl.

As you mentioned, there is still a good bit of clean-up required and I skip the style and coding convention comments. One question though - jdk.internal.org.xml.sax.** are copied from JAXP source. What should the copyright years be? It currently retains the same value from the original copy.

I thought the rule was that the copyright years be retained if there's no material change. But I saw Alan's comment that it'd be done by a script. So I'll leave it as is for now.

Thanks,
Joe

One issue that I'm still mulling over, as least for the profiles effort, is whether to only include the fallback provider in the smallest profile as it won't be used otherwise. If the eventual size isn't too significant then it might not be worth it of course.

Do you plan to include jdk.internal.util.xml.BasicXmlPropertiesProvider in META-INF/services/sun.util.spi.XmlPropertiesProvider?

I guess you are referring to what makefile change should be depending on the decision?

Mandy