On 01/08/2013 03:38 PM, Peter Levart wrote:
On 01/07/2013 08:07 PM, Joe Darcy wrote:
Hello,

I had a question about how the double accumulation logic was intended to be used. I've taken a quick look at the code and it uses straightforward "sum = sum + nextValue" code to compute the double sum. Summing doubles values with code numerical accuracy is surprisingly tricky and if the DoubleAccumulator code is meant for wide use, I'd recommend using instead some form of compensated summation:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahan_summation_algorithm

Hello Joe,

It's very hard to program such algorithm in Java. Guess what prints the following code:

        double x = 1.0E100;
        double a = 1d;
        double y = x + a;
        double diff = y - x;
        double c = a - diff;
        System.out.println(diff);
        System.out.println(c);

Do you have any idea how  to do that (still using local variables)?

Regards, Peter

Disregard this question. I thought I saw it reversed...

Regards, Peter

Thanks,

-Joe