On 01/09/2013 09:51 PM, Steven Schlansker wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I sent this email a week ago and have received no replies.  Is there
> any step I have missed necessary to contribute to the JDK libraries?

I think the crucial part is OCA, as per:
 http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/

> I am very interested in making your lives easier, so please let me
> know if I am in the wrong place or are otherwise misguided.

You are at the correct place.

On the first glance, the change looks good for the start. A few comments
though:
 a) Do you need the masks before or-ing with most/leastSigBits?
 b) Is there a more standard (and still performant) way to do the hex
conversion? Look around JDK source, I think there should be something
else needing the same kind of conversion.
 c) I'd go for making utility methods a bit more generic. For one, I
would rather make decodeHex(String str, int start, int end), and
encodeHex(char[] dest, int offset, int value).

Microbenchmark glitches:
 a) % is the integer division, and at the scale of the operations you
are measuring, it could incur significant costs; the usual practice is
having power-of-2 size, and then (i % size) -> (i & (size - 1)).
 b) Not sure if you want to stick with random UUIDs for comparisons.
While the law of large numbers is on your side, 1000 random UUIDs might
be not random enough.

-Aleksey.