Am 13.01.2013 13:33, schrieb Remi Forax:
Additionally I'm wondering, whether getNextAttribute() could be generified.
Yes it probably could however I do no want to do this as part of this change

I disagree, it should not be generified, getNextAttribute() should return Object and be casted at callsite,
it will more clear if a ClassCastException occurs.
Relying on inference to ask the compiler to insert the cast is dubious,

I must admit, I do not understand.

What would be wrong with that? :
 xxx     private <T> T readNext() throws SQLException {
 xxx         T attrib = (T)getNextAttribute();
 xxx         lastValueWasNull = attrib == null;
 xxx         return attrib;
 xxx     }

 811     public String readNString() throws SQLException {
 812         return readNext();
 813     }

... so why not generifying getNextAttribute() directly?

-Ulf