Is "i+1" really preferred to "i + 1" ?  I thought it was the reverse, and
that "i+1" was merely tolerated.

1570                 if (value[i] == hi && value[i+1] == lo) {

---

2425      * @throws NullPointerException If {@code delimiter} is {@code null}

you also throw NPE for element null, but you didn't specify that.
*
*
*---*