On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com>wrote:

> On 15/05/2013 2:57 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Jeroen Frijters <jer...@sumatra.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  IMO Thread.currentThread().stop(**new Throwable()) should continue to
>>> work.
>>> It is not unsafe and it is probably used in a lot of code to workaround
>>> the
>>> madness that is checked exceptions.
>>>

> That is truly awful! Why wouldn't people just wrap in a runtime exception
> ???? Truly, truly awful. :(

General purpose library code sometimes would like to rethrow an exception
that was previously caught.
How should it do that?  I don't think there's a generally accepted
solution, although there's more than one (sneaky) way to do it, and we
could stop using Thread.stop for that purpose.

> If we had to we could special-case for currentThread. :(
>

>  There are existing JDK tests that use currentThread().stop to implement
>> the
>> occasionally necessary sneakyThrow.
>>
>> I suspect there are important uses of unsafe otherThread.stop in the real
>> world, where it is used as a last resort to shut down an "application"
>> running within a java vm, and works reasonably well in practice.
>>

> I would dispute that it can work "reasonably well in practice" given the
> near impossibility of writing async-exception-safe non-trivial Java code.
> That aside, the proposal is only for the stop(throwable) form which I would
> not expect to be used for the termination case.

I agree it's unsafe.  But you have the same problem to a lesser extent with
kill -9, which is also an indispensable part of every engineer's toolbox,
and works well enough in practice.