On 06/13/2013 05:42 PM, Mike Duigou wrote:
On Jun 13 2013, at 00:56 , Paul Sandoz wrote:

On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Peter Levart <peter.lev...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/13/2013 01:14 AM, Mike Duigou wrote:
On Jun 12 2013, at 15:49 , Remi Forax wrote:

On 06/12/2013 11:23 PM, Mike Duigou wrote:
Hello all;

This patch adds optimized implementations of Map.forEach and Map.replaceAll to
HashMap, Hashtable, IdentityHashMap, WeakHashMap, TreeMap

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mduigou/JDK-8016446/0/webrev/

The implementations traverse the map more efficiently than the default iterator
implementation and sometimes avoid creation of transient Map.Entry instances.
The fast-fail behaviour of the default implementation is retained.

Mike
Hi Mike,
funnily I was writing HashMap.forEach/LinkedHashMap.forEach at the same time.
(you need also to override forEach in LinkedHashMap because the one you
inherits from HashMap doesn't use the linked list of entries).
I don't think we need to offer a guarantee of ordering for the forEach but
using the linked list is probably more efficient.
The javadoc for Map.forEach says differently:

default void forEach(BiConsumer
<http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/function/BiConsumer.html><? superK
<http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>,? superV
<http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/api/java/util/Map.html>> action)

Performs the given action on each entry in this map, in the order entries are
returned by an entry set iterator (which may be unspecified)
Would anyone object to removing the ", in the order entries are returned by an entry
set iterator (which may be unspecified)" clause? It seems like unnecessary
over-specification.

Mike

No :)
I think it's an important property because with that property people can refactor from a for(:map.entrySet()) to a map.forEach() and vice-versa.

RĂ©mi

Right, LinkedHashMap should preserve the encounter order on traversal, bulk or
otherwise.

Note that there is a bug logged against LinkedHashMap.spliterator. It should
but currently does not report ORDERED for key/value/entry Spliterators.

Paul.