Hi Aleksey,

I played with reference handling code and got the following idea: Instead of iterating over the set of active Cleaners looking for those that were cleared by the VM, make ReferenceQueue.poll/remove help ReferenceHandler thread in enqueue-ing the references. This assumes VM links the References into a discovered list at the same time as clearing them. Here's a prototype of this approach:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk8-tl/Cleaners/webrev.01/

It is maybe to aggressive to hook helping enqueue references on the public ReferenceQueue.poll/remove methods which affects other code too, but that could be changed (use package-private API between ReferenceQueue and Cleaner). With this variant, I was not able to fail the DirectBufferTest on my machine (4 cores i7) with 1,2,4,8,16,32,64 threads and -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=100m. It sometimes fails quickly at 128 threads and sometimes passes 60 seconds without failure. There's certainly room for improvement. Without the patch it fails after ~500 iterations as soon as 2 threads are used.

So what do you think of the approach in general? You see, I tried to avoid Thread.sleep() calls to prove the approach is very predictable even without them. The help-enqueue-references code is executed out of ReferenceQueue.poll/remove synchronized blocks, so there is no guarantee that all pending Cleaners have been processed before giving-up with OOME. Adding a short Thread.sleep() in the Bits loop:

            System.gc();
            try {
                Thread.sleep(100L);
            }
            catch (InterruptedException x) {}
            cleans = Cleaner.assistCleanup();

Might help. It could even be exponential backoff.

Regards, Peter