On 08/10/2013 00:00, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
Resuming this discussion …

Thanks for the previous comments. My feeling at this point is to do one of two
things:

A) defer to something after JDK 8, or
B) on EAI_AGAIN do not retry but set the cause of the UAE to "new
SomeException(gai_strerror(error))" where SomeException could be for example
Exception, RuntimeException, or IOException.

Comments?

Throwing UHE with a useful message or cause would be best, so option B. However, I don't think it is critical for jdk8 as it's not a new issue (at least I think UHE has always been thrown with just the hostname, never the reason if it is known). So if there isn't time to be confident with the patch then it should be okay to move this out to 9.

-Alan.