/localhome/hg/jdk8-tl/corba/src/share/classes/sun/corba/Bridge.java:39: warning: Unsafe is internal proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
import sun.misc.Unsafe ;
               ^
/localhome/hg/jdk8-tl/corba/src/share/classes/sun/corba/Bridge.java:40: warning: ReflectionFactory is internal proprietary API and may be removed in a future release
import sun.reflect.ReflectionFactory ;

I don't know why these aren't showing otherwise.

Could we figure out a more general way of expressing a proper bootclasspath that works for J9 too?

/Erik

On 2013-10-18 17:15, Volker Simonis wrote:
Hi Erik,

I had to fix another issue in the JAXWS build
(https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8026874) but with that I've
finally managed to get to the Corba build with a J9 bootstrap JDK.

With the following small change in BuildCorba.gmk:

-     FLAGS:=$(BOOT_JDK_SOURCETARGET) -bootclasspath $(BOOT_RTJAR)
$(DISABLE_CORBA_WARNINGS),\
+     FLAGS:=$(BOOT_JDK_SOURCETARGET) $(DISABLE_CORBA_WARNINGS),\

I could successfully build Corba with J9 as bootstrap JDK. So you (and
the others) were right with your observation that during build time we
don not call the boot JDKs idlj/rmic compilers any more. That's good!

Now to your change (and my two changes lines above). You did the
following in BuildCorba.gmk:

-    FLAGS := $(BOOT_JDK_SOURCETARGET) -bootclasspath $(BOOT_RTJAR)
$(DISABLE_CORBA_WARNINGS), \
+    FLAGS := $(BOOT_JDK_SOURCETARGET) -bootclasspath
$(BOOT_RTJAR)$(PATH_SEP)$(BOOT_TOOLSJAR) \
+        $(DISABLE_CORBA_WARNINGS), \

This probably doesn't do what you intended because $(BOOT_RTJAR)
already expands to a complete path and you then append another path
which will give you an invalid file. So actually it turns out that
your change is equivalent to mine where I completely eliminated the
'-bootclasspath' option (although I think mine is cleaner :)

So I wanted to know why we need the '-bootclasspath' option at all,
because we are anyway compiling with the boot JDK and it will use its
$(BOOT_RTJAR) by default.

The same problem also exists in makefiles/Setup.gmk

  $(eval $(call SetupJavaCompiler,GENERATE_OLDBYTECODE,\
       JVM:=$(JAVA),\
       JAVAC:=$(NEW_JAVAC),\
-     FLAGS:=-source 7 -target 7 -bootclasspath $(BOOT_RTJAR)
$(DISABLE_WARNINGS),\
+     FLAGS:=-source 7 -target 7  $(DISABLE_WARNINGS),\
       SERVER_DIR:=$(SJAVAC_SERVER_DIR),\
       SERVER_JVM:=$(SJAVAC_SERVER_JAVA)))

I don't understand why we need the '-bootclasspath' option to javac
because this will executed by the boot JDK and as far as I understand
it will pick up its $(BOOT_RTJAR) anyway.

The problem I have with this construct is that other VMs may not have
all required classes in rt.jar and as far as I know that's not part of
the Java 7 specification. For example J9 has jre/lib/rt.jar but some
classes like Object are in another jar file
(jre/lib/ppc64/{compressedrefs|default}/jclSC170/vm.jar).

So if this '-bootclasspath' option is really needed, I will be
necessary to rework the $(BOOT_RTJAR) detection for every distinct
boot JDK which is not very nice because I think any Java 7 compliant
JDK should work as boot JDK out of the box.

What do you think?

Regards,
Volker

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Volker Simonis