On 02/12/2013 19:25, Xueming Shen wrote:
Hi,

Based on the feedback so far here is the latest webrev, and the link to the bug.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8028397/webrev

During the discussion it became clearthat methods decode/encode(ByteBuffer,
ByteBuffer) are insufficient to support the continuous de/encoding
operation request ("underflow" handling, in charset coder's term).
Given the assumed usage for these methods is for de/encoding the bytes
from io channels, I have been convinced it might be more useful/desired
to provide a pair of wrap methods instead for readable/writableByteChannel,
same as the pair we have now for in/output stream (the wrap methods
are under development, but will probably be for future releases). For
jdk8 the proposal is to remove the pair of de/encode(Buffer, ByteBuffer),
as showed in the webrev.

I think this is the right thing to do and the changes in the webrev look okay to me (and easy to review as it's just an undo of a recent change plus the removal of two methods).

-Alan.