Hi Stuart,

I wonder whether you should replace the assert in the
constructor by an explicit null check:

-  assert systemStub != null
+ if (systemStub == null) throw new NullPointerException();

The reason I see is that before your change, an object constructed
with a null systemStub would have sooner or later failed in NPE.
Now with your change, an object constructed with a null system
stub will block - waiting forever for system stub to become not
null.

The question of course is whether throwing NPE in  the constructor
would cause any compatibility issues. Passing the JCK might help
to figure it out.

Best regards,

-- daniel