On Feb 10 2014, at 04:33 , Doug Lea <d...@cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

> Among the constraints on solution is that several of these
> methods compile down to no-ops on many common platforms.

This is interpreted as a benefit. However, if the are no-ops only for the most
common platform (x86) then we are likely to see a rough path for other
platforms. Incorrect or inconsistent usage of these methods in user code will,
instead of having no effect, result in unexpected and possibly mysterious
runtime failures on other platforms. The JVM has been pretty good about hiding
these differences thus far. It would be nice to see a "least common
denominator" non-no-op mode as part of the VM implementation that provided the
opportunity to test in the most pessimistic conditions.

Mike