Joe probably knows more about this, but we did some preliminary investigation summarized below.

One test that was considered was creating an XML file encoded in one of the formats and then seeing if the parser would process the file after our updates were added. This looked like it requires generating sample XML files with characters from the actual encoding, which we could not figure out in a reasonable amount of time. It's not sufficient to specify the encoding in the XML header (<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"CP1140\"?>, also tried IBM01140) if all the text in the file is UTF-8, since the parser complains. It was decided that since the changes were minor, and the original Xerces bug did not include any tests or any way of reproducing the error, we would not spend too much time on the issue. For reference, the IBM01140-IBM01149 encodings look like various European languages: http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets/character-sets.xhtml.

- David