On 6/03/2014 3:40 PM, Stuart Marks wrote:
On 3/5/14 4:57 PM, David Holmes wrote:
On 6/03/2014 8:05 AM, Stuart Marks wrote:
Please review this fix to change RMI's test library to pass through
vmoptions and javaoptions to rmid and other JVM subprocesses.

Are you sure you want to do that? Run everything with -Xcomp for example?

The choice is between not passing the options and passing them through.
I think it's more surprising not to have the options passed through. For
example, the test makefiles pass -ea and -esa to jtreg, which adds them
to test.vm.opts. Rmid and its activation group JVMs are just as much
part of the system under test as the JDK running the test, so not having
these options passed through means that we've been testing without
assertions enabled in the subprocesses all these years. The -D option to
set a system property should probably be passed through as well. I don't
know if this makes sense for -Xcomp though.

Indeed that is the problem with all of this - some settings you will want to pass through and some you won't. Though perhaps -Xcomp and other stress options are not something you have to be concerned about with normal core-libs testing. And conversely hotspot testing is unlikely to be running the RMI tests. So I guess it should be reasonably "safe".

BTW not a review (sorry) :)

David

s'marks