Hi Florian,

Thanks for doing this.

Do you have any more context on what RPMs/jars are using what methods of
Unsafe? such information would be useful to correlated with that on maven
central.

I think i can guess some aspects e.g.:

 monitorEnter         | (Ljava/lang/Object;)V
   |     1
 monitorExit          | (Ljava/lang/Object;)V

On Mar 4, 2014, at 9:22 PM, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I looked at JAR files in all RPMs in Fedora rawhide (the
> development version of Fedora that will turn into Fedora 21) and counted the
> number of RPM packages which had Java classes referencing individual methods
> in sun.misc.Unsafe.  The attached table is sorted by decreasing package
> count, and grouped by method name and descriptor.
>
> These numbers do not include references through reflection, for obvious
> reasons.
>
> Java programming practices are sometimes at odds with distribution packaging,
> and due to licensing bias, the Fedora repository might not be representative
> of the general Java ecosystem.  However, the statistics cover 1177 Java
> source RPMs containing 550829 classes in 570477 versions, so it's quite a bit
> of code, despite the fairly low number of references to sun.misc.Unsafe.

It might be useful to obtain the number of (transitive) dependencies on such
jars. I don't have data yet from maven central but i know some jars that use
Unsafe are quite popular.

Paul.