I see.  Yes, what you said is clear, now I read it again.  :-)

> I presume intrinsics might be of great advantage if SIMD
> instructions can be leveraged? if not would it be reasonable to
> assume that for common 0 offset case the two solutions might be
> similar in terms of performance?

That's hard to say for sure.  It might well be so, but I suspect
you'll hit memor bandwidth limits in both cases.

> Yeah, but i think that could take longer and there is also the
> Arrays 2.0 work to consider, the scope is considerably larger than
> providing an efficient comparison method for byte[] arrays.

OK, so I think I understand now: you can do what you need without
having to drag in HotSpot engineers.  But Unsafe only works really
efficiently when it is intrinsified.

> It is possible to tackle this simple use-case with an API tweak
> (ByteBuffer.compareUnsigned) and revisit the implementation if/when
> instincts for arrays get into 9. That is a small but useful step in
> the right direction.

Ok, fair point.

Andrew.