Ivan,

On 14/03/2014 9:19 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
Thanks Peter for the comments.

On 14.03.2014 14:53, Peter Levart wrote:
On 03/14/2014 08:05 AM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
One thing I noticed is that some methods I mentioned above
(List.subList(), Arrays.sort(), etc) throw IllegalArgumentException
when fromIndex > toIndex, not IndexOutOfBoundException.
Wouldn't it be more correct to adopt this into removeRange() too?

The question is, what exception should be thrown for removeRange(0,
-1) then... The order of checks matters and should be specified if two
kinds of exceptions are thrown...

In my opinion, the order of the checks should match the order of the
listed exceptions in the spec.

That's a nice proposal but unfortunately there has never been a rule that you have to document exceptions in the order you expect them to be checked; nor do you have to implement exception checks in the order they are documented. So it is too late to try and enforce this now.

David
-----

If the order is:
@throws IndexOutOfBoundException if either index is negative or either
index is greater than size()
@throws IllegalArgumentException if (fromIndex > toIndex)

then removeRange(0, -1) should throw IndexOutOfBoundException.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan