On 04/16/2014 02:34 AM, Chris Hegarty wrote:

On 17/02/14 15:50, David M. Lloyd wrote:

Honestly I'm coming to the conclusion that the spec should just be
updated to match the existing behavior.  At least this way, it is
possible to establish and explain exactly what is happening and why, and
what the effect is on the wire protocol, and how to cope with changes to
the affected class hierarchies in a compatible way.

Resurrecting an old thread, since I just realized I didn't reply to this.

I have no objection, and would support any effort/attempt to try and
resolve this issue.

Is the serialization spec document [1] available in some source form for which changes could be submitted directly?

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/platform/serialization/spec/serialTOC.html

--
- DML