On May 3, 2014, at 6:55 PM, Joe Darcy <joe.da...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> I think the parsePrimes method would be better with a different name since no
> parsing is occurring anymore.

Yes, and there is no need for the try block.

(The use of BitSet.stream() also reminds me we can implement a spliterator with
size estimates based on the words in use, currently the stream() is created
from an iterator.)

> I think someone in this test the fact that Integer.MAX_VALUE is a prime
> should be mentioned in taken advantage of :-)  How about adding another test
> method which tests some Mersenne primes for primality? [1]
>
> I'd prefer to see some comments on the primes method briefly explaining it
> methodology. Would the running time be unacceptable (or memory usage too
> large) if the limit were set to Integer.MAX_VALUE?

+1 to both of those, although perhaps the former could be done as a second
iteration to get this code in?

Also, probably better to create the "NavigableSet<BigInteger> primes" just once
in "main", rather than creating it twice for both tests.

Still skeptical about the use of a PRNG in the tests, see my comments in a
previous email:

  http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2014-April/026579.html

Paul.