So backgrounds:

The C code in HotSpot is platform-independent, and will take no effect if jdk/src/share/bin/main.c does not call JLI_SetStaticSharedSpace(). Since the code inside HotSpot is pretty small, we could always leave it in (compiled unconditionally for both 32-bit and 64-bit) and push the platform-dependent decision to the JDK layer.

The need for this fix is only for 32-bit VMs, where ASLR would more easily cause address conflicts with the predefined SharedBaseAddress (see globals.hpp). On 64-bit VM, mapping failure due to ASLR is very rare.

The fix is based on the idea that a variable defined in the BSS section of the main executable is not randomized on some platforms:

    static char staticSharedSpace[32*1024*1024];

so far, we found this is true only in Linux. (And perhaps Solaris as well, but since we only supported 64-bit on Solaris, I didn't investigate further).

On MacOS and Windows, the BSS section of the main executable is also randomized, so this fix will not reduce mapping failures.

- Ioi