Refer to 8042889, while verifying/testing 8042889, we noticed that the tiny XML parser failed on UTF-16BE or LE. The cause of the failure was that the parser was actually implemented to abide by the XML specification that required entities encoded in UTF-16 to begin with BOM. The test we used sent a byte array to the parser without BOM, thus failed.

Since it's not uncommon for a XML to not have BOM, I borrowed the technique used in Xerces to add an additional check for UTF-16 encoding. Please review.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~joehw/jdk9/8043592/webrev/

Thanks,
Joe