The fear is that stack sizes and alignments have grown over time, and
thread stacks are acquiring things like guard pages, and those pages may
(incorrectly) end up getting included in the stack size.  I'm particularly
afraid of the hotspot guard page code.

It may be worthwhile seeing how low you can make the stack size on popular
platforms before the jtreg tests for process fall over, then multiply by 10
at least.

We are approaching the 64-bit only era, when address space restrictions
won't be a problem (for a while)