Can someone summarize what happened?

SecureRandom used to get entropy from /dev/random, which is configurable through a policy file to /dev/urandom. Has this changed?

Alex

On 12/07/2014 00:33, Martin Buchholz wrote:
Thanks to Peter for digging into the secure seed generator classes and coming up with a patch. Openjdk security folks, please review. I confess to getting lost whenever I try to orient myself in the twisty maze of seed generator implementation files.

Anyways, it seems important to have prngs like ThreadLocalRandom be able to get a few bits of seed entropy without loading hundreds of classes and without occupying any file descriptors permanently. Perhaps at Google we will go back to writing some simple non-portable startup code to read /dev/urandom until openjdk security team comes up with a more principled solution (but one that doesn't drag in too much machinery).