Hi John,

I agree that the benefit is very small, but I am coming at this from source
code consistency and bytecode size (not jitted code performance), and I
think bytecode size is at least one of the problems with assert.

I filed that bug long ago, but no action yet ....
Eliminate remaining performance penalty for using assert