Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this - most appreciated. I've pushed
>>> the latest iteration to http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~
>>> rwarburton/string-patch-webrev-8/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%
>>> 7Erwarburton/string-patch-webrev-8/>.
>>>
>>>  I think this is looking good.

Thanks - I've pushed a new iteration to http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~
rwarburton/string-patch-webrev-9.

For the constructor then the words "decoding the specified byte buffer", it
>> might be a bit clearer as "decoding the remaining bytes in the ...".
>>
>> For getBytes(ByteBuffer, Charset) then the position is advanced by the
>> bytes written, no need to mention the number of chars read here.
>>
>> In the constructor then you make it clear that malformed/unmappable
>> sequences use the default replacement. This is important to state in the
>> getBytes methods too because the encoding can fail.

I've made all these changes.

Hi Richard, hi all,
> Two comments,
> You replace the nullcheck in getBytes() by a requireNonNull and at the
> same time, you don"t use requireNonNull in String(ByteBuffer,Charset),
> no very logical isn't it ?

Thanks for spotting this Remi - I've fixed this issue in my latest
iteration.

I think you need a supplementary constructor that takes a ByteBuffer and a
> charset name as a String,
> i may be wrong, but it seems that every constructor of String that takes a
> Charset has a dual constructor that takes a Charset as a String.
> As far as I remember, a constructor that takes a Charset as a String may
> be faster because you can share the character decoder
> instead of creating a new one.

A good observation. I've added variants which take a String for the charset
name as well the charset variants.

Having said that - wouldn't it also be a good idea to replicate the caching
on the charset versions as well as the charset name? I don't see any
obvious reason why this isn't possible but perhaps there's something I'm
missing here. Probably cleaner as a separate patch either way.

regards,

  Richard Warburton

  http://insightfullogic.com
  @RichardWarburto <http://twitter.com/richardwarburto>