On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Alan Bateman <alan.bate...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2014 08:06, deven you wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,

Hi Deven,

thank you for your contribution. Please find my comments inline:

>> Our current NIO2 file system support to AIX is very limited, hence I took
>> some time to try to complete it. Openjdk bug[1] tracks this bug and here
>> is
>> my patch[2] which enhances the AIX file system especially by adding the
>> support by Implementing AixDosFileAttributeView.java and
>> AixUserDefinedFileAttributeView.java.
>>.
>> Could anyone take a look?
>>
> Does SAMBA or other CIFS servers running on AIX store the DOS attributes as
> extended attributes? I'm just wondering if the DOS file attribute view makes
> sense or not.

I'm by no means an expert in this area and just started to experiment
a little bit. While looking at tests like
'java/nio/file/attribute/DosFileAttributeView/Basic.java' I was
surprised to see that DosFileAttributeView can also be used on Linux.
While this makes sense for DOS file systems mounted into Linux which
map the DOS attributes to extended attributes on Unix it is probably
academic for file systems like ext2/3/4 which support extended
attributes as well. Unfortunately, tests like
DosFileAttributeView/Basic.java mostly test extended attributes on a
Linux files system because they only create and change files in /tmp
which is hardly ever a mounted DOS file system.

All that said, on AIX the JFS2 file system also supports extended
attributes (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes). Hopefully the
CIFS client correctly maps the DOS attributes to extended user
attributes but I couldn't check that today because I couldn't find a
AIX box with CIFS client today. I'll try to find one tomorrow, but
perhaps Deven can already confirm this?

Following some more comments:

AixDosFileAttributeView.java
 - please replace "ext3" by "JFS2" in the comment as I'm not aware of
any ext3 support in AIX

AixFileStore.java
 - the detection if extended attributes are supported doesn't seem to
work. It seems like supportsFileAttributeView() has been just copied
from the corresponding Linux implementation but that won't work on
AIX. Please remove the ext3/4 stuff and do a real check (i.e. check if
the file system is JFS2 and if extended attributes have been enabled
on on the corresponding file system. See 'chfs -a ea=v2', 'man 2
getea', setea, ...).
 - the test DosFileAttributeView/Basic.java should succeed without
saying "DOS file attribute not supported."

AixNativeDispatcher.java
AixNativeDispatcher.c
 - you define 'getAixMountEntries()', 'queryMountEntrySize()' and the
corresponding native implementations but they don't seemed to be used
anywhere. Please remove this dead code. If you need to get a list of
all mounted file systems you could use 'getmntctl()' which is already
there and does exactly that.

> I suspect you will need to update a number of tests to (like
> FileSystem/Basic.java) and Files/CopyAndMove.java) to ensure that this new
> code is exercised by the tests.

Yes, could you please elaborate how you have tested your
implementation until now?

Thank you and best regards,
Volker