On Jan 21, 2015, at 7:42 PM, John Rose <john.r.r...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2015, at 3:01 AM, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> I updated the webrev in place to be more consistent in the use of braces and
>> better consistency for the primitive specializations:
>>
>>  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8050820-Optional-stream/webrev/
>>
>> I don't wanna make any more syntax-related changes unless i done something
>> silly.
>
> It's often a good idea to make cleanups to code you touch, but there is a
> natural limit.
>
> If cleanups proliferate far away from the semantic changes, the two sorts of
> changes will begin to confuse each other, both during review and later on
> during backports or other change analysis.

Yes, it's very tempting to make the source conform to one's own "cultural of
code format" (and it's all to easy to hit the reformat hot key in the IDE) [*].

> I think what you have done is acceptable from that viewpoint, since the
> changes can be separated "by eye" easily enough.
>
> You can count me as a Reviewer for this.

Thanks. I updated the webrev to add "@since 1.9" to the docs.

Paul.

[*] I would be quite happy with a Java endorsed "culture of code format" and
just configure the IDE to format to that (one less thing to think about).  I am
rather skeptical that any consensus driven approach can produce such a format
before the heat death of the universe. Someone with trusted taste and
leadership needs to make a proposal, one is allowed to comment during a period
of time, but one is not allowed to comment on other people's comments :-)