On 02/14/2015 04:33 PM, Peter Levart wrote:
Well, internally I think it should be stored as an Instant. So you don't have to reconstruct Instant objects at each call to getInstant(). Serialization of LogRecord is not a frequent requirement, so the overhead should be moved to it, rather than to frequent code-paths. That's my opinion.

Documenting serializable format should be easy anyway. It doesn't have to be based directly on public getters/setters. For example:

The LogRecord's "instant" is serialized as two hypothetical fields to keep backwards compatibility:

long millis = getInstant().toEpochMilli();

int nanoOfMilli = getInstant().getNano() % 1000_000;

Regards, Peter

Hi Daniel,

I must admit, it's not so simple after all. I tried to do it and I had to do the following to get a decent javadoc:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/LogRecord.instant/webrev.01/

So take it if you think this isn't too much to support or leave it and do it your way (with just an additional @serial nanoAdjustment field).

Regards, Peter