Hi Peter,

On Feb 14, 2015, at 8:54 PM, Peter Levart <peter.lev...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2015 09:52 PM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> In connection with the JEP there is also a design document to help the
>> discussion:
>>
>>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/MultiVersionJar-8u60-9-design.md
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thinking about this proposal, I can't escape the feeling that the design
> favors JDK as the only target for which multi-version jars exist.

There is a reason you cannot escape that feeling :-) because as currently
designed it is intended only to version a JAR over major Java platform versions.

Your maven-inspried profile solution is an interesting, but  do think it
increases the complexity by expanding versioning to any dependency.

A MVJAR (a unit of release) now has two or more sets of dependencies. The
developer has to layout the classpath carefully with an understanding of what
jar files are associated to what profile in another jar. Managing dependencies
in large systems can be rather complex and i fear this will add further to that
complexity.

I could see how one could more formally manage this with a module system where
modules have names and declare the names of modules they depend on. Thus
modules can be formally analysed and the module paths verified. But still the
multiple sets of dependencies and selection of concerns me (furthermore Project
Jigsaw already has a stacked schedule of stuff to do).

So at the moment i would prefer to keep this more constrained and focused on
the JDK itself.

Paul.