Hi Mikael,

Thank you so much for making these changes!.  Looks generally good.

ergo_i586.c: why ? MacOSX ?

cmdtoargs.c: URK!. :-[

Thanks
Kumar

On 3/20/2015 11:02 AM, Mikael Vidstedt wrote:

Please review the following change which fixes a number of native compilation warnings in files related to libjli.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mikael/webrevs/8074840/webrev.01/webrev/

I built the code across all the OracleJDK platforms and there were no warnings on any of the platforms (in the files related to this change). I'm taking suggestions on specific tests to run.

Some specifics:

Unfortunately there is no intrinsic for cpuid in Solaris Studio, so I had to keep the inline asm code and the corresponding flag to disable the related warning (E_ASM_DISABLES_OPTIMIZATION). The alternative would be to move it out into a dedicated assembly file, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth given that the warning is harmless.

I'm not entirely happy with the unsigned cast in parse_manifest.c:196, but unfortunately the windows prototype for read() takes an unsigned as its last argument, where All(tm) other platforms take a size_t. In this specific case 'len' will never be be more than END_MAXLEN = 0xFFFF + ENDHDR = 0xFFFF + 22 = 0x10015, meaning it will comfortably fit in an unsigned on the platforms we support. But if somebody has suggestions I'm all ears, doing the #ifdef dance is of course also an option.

Note that the warnings were temporarily disabled as part of JDK-8074096 [1] until such time they could be fixed the proper way. Also note that this change supersedes the earlier change [2] Dmitry had out for review. The bug [3] corresponding to that webrev will be closed as a duplicate of this bug (JDK-8074839).

Cheers,
Mikael

[2] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dsamersoff/JDK-8073175/webrev.01/