Hi Dmitry, Staffan,

Lots of good comments here.

On the topic of what list should be printed out, I think we should focus on objects waiting to be finalized - e.g. the contents of the ReferenceQueue. It's more of a pain to walk the ReferenceQueue, but you could add a summerizeQueue(TreeMap<String, Integer>) method, or a general iterator and lambda.

A histogram of objects with finalize methods might also be interesting, but you can get most of the same information from a heap histogram (ClassHistogramDCmd, and search for count of Finalizer instances).

BTW, by only locking the ReferenceQueue, we should only be blocking the FinalizerThread from making progress (and I think there's a GC thread that runs after GC that sorts found References objects that need processing into their respective ReferenceQueues). But locking the "unfinalized" list blocks initializing any object with a finalize() method.

The sorting suggestion is a nice touch.

 - Derek White, GC team