Hi Pavel,

On 05/14/2015 12:14 AM, Pavel Rappo wrote:
The other reason to have read that returns 0 is if the underlying channel is in
non-blocking mode.
A read on an InputStream created by Channels.newInputStream on a
SelectableChannel may return 0
and the code will go in a loop until the SelectableChannel can read something.
while(read() > 0) avoid that issue.
It doesn't seem possible as far as I can see. We have 2 methods in
java.nio.channels.Channels:

    newInputStream(java.nio.channels.ReadableByteChannel)
    newInputStream(java.nio.channels.AsynchronousByteChannel)

Neither ReadableByteChannel nor AsynchronousByteChannel is SelectableChannel.
SocketChannel is a subtype of both ReadableByteChannel and SelectableChannel.
Yes, you're right.

Sorry, I might be missing something. Anyway, it would be a misbehaving
InputStream as it doesn't conform to the spec.
if the read is non-blocking, it can read 0 byte which is conform to the
InputStream.read spec,
or am i missing something ?
* <code>0</code> is returned; otherwise, there is an attempt to read at
* least one byte. If no byte is available because the stream is at end of
* file, the value <code>-1</code> is returned; otherwise, at least one
* byte is read and stored into <code>b</code>.

So as far as I can see, returning 0 as a number of bytes read is not an option,
unless len == 0

Yes, you're right, my bad on that.

RĂ©mi