On 05/13/2015 01:45 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
On May 12, 2015, at 10:49 PM, Mandy Chung <mandy.ch...@oracle.com> wrote:
How likely does existing code do this?  A proper way is to call
System.setProperty.  One pattern I found on System.setProperties is like this
to add a system property of key/value pair:

Properties props = System.getProperties();
props.put(key, value);
System.setProperties(props);

More investigation needs to be done (e.g. look at System.setProperties and
other system property related APIs and any spec change is needed to be made and
the compatibility implication) if we agree that it worths keeping this change
local to system properties.

FWIW you can see some usages here:

http://grepcode.com/search/usages?type=method&id=repository.grepcode.com%24java%24root@jdk%24openjdk@7u40-b43@java%24lang@System@setProperties%28java.util.Properties%29&k=u

Thanks.

I skimmed on several safe usages before I suggested to consider doing something for system properties but the first one on the above link and there s another one WriteOnceProperties depending on System.setProperties to replace the system Properties object with the argument directly. Definitely if we want to change any behavior, careful evaluation on the compatibility is required (maybe we can't change it and this is something for the future).

Mandy