Peter,

Have we considered just embracing CharBuffer.wrap(CharSequence, int, int) work
as way to support the old substring behavior? If you dig through the code, that
creates a java.nio.StringCharBuffer which is a view of the wrapped string. We
could then optimize all of the friend classes to special case CharBuffer and
use the bulk get methods.  The nice thing is that there should be no way to
create a malicious CharBuffer which should fix the concern mentioned here:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-May/017174.html.

Regards,

Jason