On 10/16/15 4:49 AM, Claes Redestad wrote:
On 2015-10-16 04:09, Xueming Shen wrote:

On 2015-10-15 23:21, Chris Hegarty wrote:
On 15 Oct 2015, at 21:59, e...@zusammenkunft.net wrote:

Hello,

This does change a bit the semantic of the length check. If the stream would return more bytes than the zipentry says the new version would ignore them, the old version was consuming then and then fail the check. However I am not sure if this is relevant.
Right, there are certainly some subtle differences resulting from
the proposed change. When working on JDK-8138978 I thought
about using readNBytes, but played it safe as IOUtils was growing
the bye[] lazily too, so no real perf difference. In fact, I think I seen
a test failure with using readNBytes here. I’ll have to check.

Seeing no jtreg test failures in java/util/zip nor java/util/jar (apart from 2 ignored tests), but I can see a reason for the current implementation being conservative: Corrupt/malicious jar files might lie about the entry length and report very large values, which could bring a down with OOME.

I believe we could be both safe and faster than baseline by adding a reasonable limit for when to use readNBytes, e.g., 32k would deal with the majority of .class files.

getBytes should be used to read the meta-inf files only, not the .class files.

Correct, but this is still enough to cause statistically significant increases on our footprint measures.

With a reasonable trust limit this change should be safe while avoiding most temporary byte[] allocations when reading meta-inf files. I've verified the startup and footprint numbers and ran it through all java/util/jar and /zip tests without error.

New webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8139706/webrev.02/

Why do we no longer check the length of the returned byte[] from is.readAllBytes() against ze.getSize()? I think the original IOUtils.readFully() throws EOFE if we don't get enough bytes.

-Sherman