> On 24 Nov 2015, at 01:31, mark.reinh...@oracle.com wrote:
>
> 2015/11/23 8:38 -0800, paul.san...@oracle.com:
>> Please review the addition of Reference.reachabilityFence contributed
>> by Aleksey, Doug and myself:
>>

>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8133348-reachability-fence-jdk/webrev/
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk9/JDK-8133348-reachability-fence-hotspot/webrev/
>
> This seems eminently reasonable, but why does it belong in the
> java.lang.ref.Reference class?  It has nothing (directly) to do
> with reference objects.
>
> java.lang.Runtime, perhaps?

Out of all the places i thought Reference was the least indirect. The method
documentation refers to the notion of "strongly reachable” in the j.l.ref
package doc (I should update to link directly to that). In effect it’s an
operation on potential referents that relates to reachability, garbage
collection and finalization.

A further weaker argument is Reference is not commonly used thus there may be
less chance of this method being misused.

I do prefer the current location, but i don’t strongly object to moving it to
Runtime.

Paul.