Many years ago I considered implementing this cool feature.
I thought that few would find it worth the cost - it would be hard to
keep the cost low if this feature is used only rarely.  You might want
an expiring cache of character name mappings, and the JDK doesn't have
such a thing yet.

(I haven't actually reviewed the implementation)