On Mar 30, 2016, at 2:36 AM, Paul Sandoz <paul.san...@oracle.com> wrote:

> When access is performed in loops this can cost, as the alignment checks are
> not hoisted out. Theoretically could for regular 2, 4, 8 strides through the
> buffer contents. For such cases alignment of the base address can be checked.
> Not sure how complicated that would be to support.
>
> I lack knowledge of the SPARC instruction set to know if we could do
> something clever as an intrinsic.

A couple of partial thoughts:

If we had bitfield type inference, we would be able to deduce that the low bits
of p and p+8 are the same.  Graal has this (because I gave them the
formulae[1]).  C2 may be too brittle to add it into TypeInt.  Bitfield
inference on expressions of the form p&7 and (p+8)&7 would allow commoning
tests in an unrolled loop, hoisting the alignment logic to the top of the loop
body, and (perhaps) through the phi to the loop head.

[1]:
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/graal/graal-core/file/ea5cc66ec5f2/graal/com.oracle.graal.compiler.common/src/com/oracle/graal/compiler/common/type/IntegerStamp.java#l460

<http://hg.openjdk.java.net/graal/graal-core/file/ea5cc66ec5f2/graal/com.oracle.graal.compiler.common/src/com/oracle/graal/compiler/common/type/IntegerStamp.java#l460>

An intrinsic that would guide the JIT more explicitly would (I think) need an
extra argument.  Something like:  getLongUnaligned(p, uo, ao), where uo and ao
are both longs, but only ao is required to be naturally aligned ((ao&7)==0).
Yuck.  Maybe this could be pattern-matched in C2; it would be a kludge.

— John