This is a JDK 9 proposal to support allocation of direct java.nio.ByteBuffer
instances backed by memory other than off-heap RAM.

The current allocateDirect() static method in java.nio.ByteBuffer is being used
by some applications to meet special memory needs -- in particular, allocating
large amounts of memory without contributing significantly to GC pause times.
Other kinds of memory could offer advantages to such applications.  For
example, Intel's 3D XPoint memory offers large memory capacities that are more
affordable than RAM and speeds that are much faster than NAND storage.
Currently, there is no well-defined interface that can be used to offer a Java
developer access to these other kinds of memory.

Specifically, we propose adding a common memory interface that can be
implemented by an open-ended set of memory classes.  The interface would
provide one method that allocates a java.nio.ByteBuffer on the memory
associated with the specific memory instance.

package java.nio;

interface Memory {
   public ByteBuffer allocateByteBuffer(int size);
}

These ByteBuffers will have the same behavior as those allocated by the
allocateDirect method in java.nio.ByteBuffer: 1) the ByteBuffer instance is
managed on the Java heap, 2) the buffer's backing memory resides on whatever
space the memory instance represents, and 3) the backing memory is
automatically freed when the ByteBuffer object is garbage collected.

Developers would obtain instances of these Memory objects by calling public
constructors on specific memory classes.  We propose having developers call
constructors directly because it is a simple way to accommodate varying
initialization requirements (e.g. partitioning) that specific memory instances
may have.

For uniformity, we propose mirroring the existing off-heap java.nio.ByteBuffer
allocation through an off-heap RAM class that implements the Memory interface:

package java.nio;

public class OffHeapRAM implements Memory {
   @Override
   public ByteBuffer allocateByteBuffer(int size) {
       return ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(size);
   }
}

Uniform access could be extended to on-heap ByteBuffers with a class that wraps
the non-direct allocation method in ByteBuffer:

package java.nio;

public class HeapRAM implements Memory {
   @Override
   public ByteBuffer allocateByteBuffer(int size) {
       return ByteBuffer.allocate(size);
   }
}

The 3 additions above are the only changes proposed.  Links to a bug report and
to a JDK 9 patch containing these additions are shown below.  For sample code,
we are also creating a class that implements the Memory interface for
java.nio.ByteBuffers backed by Intel's 3D XPoint memory.

patch: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~vdeshpande/8153111/webrev.00/

While other useful capabilities in this space (e.g. persistent memory,
process-shared memory) are being explored, they are specifically not addressed
or proposed here.  We believe that supporting java.nio.ByteBuffer allocation on
other memory spaces is sufficiently useful to propose it now for JDK 9.

Please let us know if there is interest in this proposal and if you would like
to sponsor a patch.

Best regards,
Steve Dohrmann