On reflection, both your and my solution have a race.

the size method, is a clear check-then-act

the read-only method uses Collections.unmodifiableSet() which only
decorates the underlying set, thus is still check-thern-act

(the current implementation does not have a race condition, as the
data is copied, thus the size will match the data)

There is no pleasant way to solve this that I can see. This is my best attempt:

1) Add a new field

private static final CopyOnWriteArrayList<String> ZONE_IDS;

2) At the end of registerProvider0() add all of the new IDs to the
list (must be outside the loop as otherwise CopyOnWriteArrayList will
be slow)

3) Add a new method getAvailableZoneIdList() that returns the list
wrapped in Collections.unmodifiableList()

4) In the calling code, query the size, and then use subList(0, size)
to lock the size from race conditions.

A variation would be

1) Add a new field

private static volatile Set<String> ZONE_IDS;

2) Synchronize/lock registerProvider0() to ensure only one thread is
in there at a time.

3) At the end of registerProvider0() add all of the new IDs to the
set, storing Collections.unmodifiableSet(combinedSet)

4) Add a new method getAvailableZoneIdSet() that returns the unmodifiable set

5) Change the calling code to use the new method, but no other changes

Stephen