It's unclear if there really is an interop issue.   The application will
launch with 7u55 if I don't set the ORBSingletonClass property, although
that isn't how visibroker 5.2.1 was intended to run, so not setting it
worries me.

Our application does call ORB.init(args,props) once at startup and use that
instance throughout the code we have written.

However, visibroker calls ORB.init() all over the idl generated code and
the vb jar itself.

The javap of the vb jar does show some downcasts to its
com.inprise.vbroker.orb.ORBSingleton implementation in a few classes, but I
haven't tracked down if that code could execute in our application or if
the object it tries to downcast originated from ORB.init().  The simple
test of a basic launch and performing some activities within the
application seem to work.  Sadly we don't have any automated tests that
exercise our use of CORBA (java client to/from c++ server).

The idea of mixing ORB implementations worries me, even if only for the
singleton ORB.  I'm new to CORBA and the client side of our application and
still a newbie to java as I've been primarily working on our c++ server.

Do the reasons for the JDK change to ORB.init() apply in our use case?
There's only one application/context and ORB vendor implementation running
in the jvm in production.  Do you think approach #1 might be a reasonably
safe workaround without the risk of hidden interop issues?