From: Alan Bateman
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 8:03 PM
To: Ramanand Patil <ramanand.pa...@oracle.com>; core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: RFR: 8167063: spurious message "A JNI error has occurred" if
start-class cannot be initialized

On 20/01/2017 13:21, Ramanand Patil wrote:

> Hi all,
> Please review the following bug fix:
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rpatil/8167063/webrev.00/
>
> Handled the SecurityException and LinkageError which can be thrown from
> Class.forName(...) method used in LauncherHelper.java and added corresponding
> error messages to launcher.properties.
> Though the reported bug is because of the LinkageError, Security exception is
> also handled to be safe from calling Class.forName method.

I see this changes loadMainClass to abort with resources that are keyed on
java.launcher.cls.error6 and java.launcher.cls.error7 but they don't appear in
the launcher.properties file. Does this work? I would assume
MissingResourceException is thrown.
Thanks for pointing this. I missed to add it to launcher.properties. But now I
have changed error6 to point to java.launcher.cls.error1 and removed security
exception handling.

For java.launcher.module.error3 and java.launcher.module.error4 then "link" is
likely to confuse people. Sure, there may be linkage errors but there are many
linkage errors and I think would be a lot clearer if the message was "Unable to
load main class {0} from module {1}\n\{2}".
Updated the message as suggested.

It's not clear to me that having a different message for security exceptions
make sense, esp. when the exception is printed. So I think I would drop that.
Yes, I agree to drop out the Security exceptions handling.

Also loadModuleMainClass0 is unusual method name, we've mostly (not
always) used the 0 suffix on native methods. In any case, it doesn't look like
it is needed, the code was okay in loadModuleMainClass as it was.
The method was added just to look the exception handling easier. I have removed
the extra method and placed the code back into loadModuleMainClass.

One final point is that is the nesting catching of LinkageError and
SecurityException in loadMainClass, I assume you don't need the inner catch.
I think both the catch blocks were needed, because the first(inner) catch was
already inside catch.(This was same as NoClassDefFoundError catching twice in
the same method). Now since NoClassDefFoundError is subclass of LinkageError, I
have replaced it with LinkageError. And  I think still the same abort message
holds good. Please let me know if this is ok.

-Alan