Hi Chris

Point well taken, but being unable to create a native thread is definitely a VirtualMachineError, and personally I don't care whether the JVM throws an OOME or any other kind of VirtualMachineError in that case.

My point was that I don't see how being unable to return a result because of a language limitation (i.e. arrays being indexed by integers, and thus limited to 2G for byte[]), has anything to do with OutOfMemoryError. I believe it would be much more logical to throw a recoverable RuntimeException in this case (e.g. java.lang.ArrayOverflowException, as an analog of java.nio.BufferOverflowException).

Anthony