Hi Stuart,

ok, will switch to @SuppressWarnings; it will avoid the deprecation related clutter in the javadoc.

Thanks, Roger

On 3/31/2017 1:29 PM, Stuart Marks wrote:

On 3/31/17 6:55 AM, Roger Riggs wrote:
The webrev for deprecating finalize has been updated:
- to improve the advice existing JDK subclasses overriding finalize provides in
@deprecated javadoc,
 - to expand Object.finalize() javadoc to reinforce the correct use of
super.finalize() by subclasses,
 - and to remove redundant @SuppressWarnings annotations.

Please review and comment.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-finalize-deprecate-8165641/

Issue:

Hi Roger,

The main text in Object.finalize(), and the text for each of the occurrences of an overriding finalize() method, look good.

I don't think j.l.Enum.finalize() needs to be deprecated. The main point of deprecating finalize() is to inform subclassers. But Enum.finalize() can't be overriden. I suppose somebody could *call* it from an enum, and deprecation would serve to generate a warning, but this is pretty obscure.

I'd suggest replacing the deprecation of Enum.finalize() with @SuppressWarnings.

s'marks