Hi Dennis,

On 04/11/2017 10:48 PM, Chris Dennis wrote:
Color me confused… what would the javadoc on the parameter say? It could I
guess have an @implNote documenting the meanings of the parameters… but then
what use is it? The proposed API simply limits the precision with which a
DoubleSummaryStatistic can be copied to be the same as the precision with which
it can be “accessed”.  That doesn’t seem an enormous problem since I suspect
that bulk of usages would be to marshall a “finished” instance and therefore
there is no real loss occuring. If we wanted to support arbitrary precision
wouldn’t it be better to have a constructor variant that took a BigDecimal, and
a matching getPreciseSum() that returned a BigDecimal?

And how would you compute the value for BigDecimal getPreciseSum() so that you could then set 3 internal double fields from BigDecimal without loss of information?

I can imagine a "distributed" implementation of Stream that must transport partial results across VM boundaries and then combine them. It would be bad if the results of such summation differed from default local Stream implementation. If we don't want to make XxxSummaryStatistics objects Serializable themselves, then perhaps we need some other API to support transporting the state over the wire with evolvability in mind. What about something like the following:

public DoubleSummaryStatistics(DataInput dataInput) throws IOException {
        int version = dataInput.readByte();
        if (version == 1) {
            long count = dataInput.readLong();
            double sum = dataInput.readDouble();
            double sumCompensation = dataInput.readDouble();
            double simpleSum = dataInput.readDouble();
            double min = dataInput.readDouble();
            double max = dataInput.readDouble();
            // validation of arguments ...

            // ... assignment to fields
            this.count = count;
            this.sum = sum;
            this.sumCompensation = sumCompensation;
            this.simpleSum = simpleSum;
            this.min = min;
            this.max = max;
        } else {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException(
                "Invalid version in DataInput stream: " + version);
        }
    }

    public void writeTo(DataOutput dataOutput) throws IOException {
        dataOutput.writeByte(1);
        dataOutput.writeLong(count);
        dataOutput.writeDouble(sum);
        dataOutput.writeDouble(sumCompensation);
        dataOutput.writeDouble(simpleSum);
        dataOutput.writeDouble(min);
        dataOutput.writeDouble(max);
    }

Both members could be made protected so that a Serializable subclass could be devised and they would not show up as public API.

Regards, Peter

Chris